In Venice Today.com


In Venice Today.com



Booking.com


Church of Redentore in Venice

Giudecca
The Church of Redentore in Venice: the history, the photographs, the paintings and the works of art preserved inside it, the map and the information to reach it.

Chiesa del Redentore VeneziaChurch of Redentore -  Fondamenta San Giacomo, Dorsoduro - Venice

The Church of the Redeemer is located in Fondamenta San Giacomo on the island of Giudecca, within the Dorsoduro district.

Between 1575 and 1577 the plague in Venice struck almost fifty thousand lives; it was at the height of its virulence when on September 4, 1576, the Senate decreed to erect a church dedicated to the Redeemer and the first stone was laid on May 3, 1577, the day of the invasion of the Holy Cross of our Redeemer, thus starting a Christological program that underlying all the choices inherent to the church, including the imposition of austerity chosen by the Capuchins to which Andrea Palladio's project responded perfectly.

The church dominates the Giudecca landscape and turns out to be a reflection of Palladio on all the existing Renaissance architecture, the attempt to reconcile the Christian church with all the elements of the classical temple. A classical pediment dominates the façade and a staircase as wide as the diameter of the dome - which serves as a canon for the entire building - symbolizes, with its 15 steps, the ascent to the temple of Jerusalem.

The interior of the church with a longitudinal plan presents an optimal structure for the processions: a central nave with deep side chapels, covered by a high barrel vault and illuminated by thermal windows; a large presbytery joined to the nave by a large triumphal arch and finally a simple rectangular choir, shielded by an exedra of imposing columns that testify to the centrality of the presbytery.

The stories of the life of Jesus are dedicated to the blades of the chapels: a Nativity of Jesus Christ and The Resurrection by Francesco da Ponte adorn the first altar on the right and the second on the left. The Transport of Christ to the Sepulcher of Jacopo Palma il Giovane in the third altar on the left dates back to 1600.

There are two paintings by Domenico Tintoretto dated 1588 with the Flagellation of Christ and the Ascension of Christ; but perhaps the most suggestive work is the panel with Madonna with Child and two musician angels by Alvise Vivarini, set like a jewel in a precious wooden frame. The work dated to around 1500, belongs to the last phase of the painter's activity, when he had already assimilated the mantegnesco plasticism mediated by the use of Giovanni Bellini's color.

How to reach the Church of the Redentore

The Church of the Redentore is located in Fondamenta San Giacomo, on the island of Giudecca, and can be reached by boat. By vaporetto the nearest stop is that of the Redeemer, lines 2 and 4.1. The Church of the Redeemer is immediately left out of the pier.

Hours: Monday from 10.30 to 16.00 (closing ticket office, bookshop and last admissions at 15.45). From Tuesday to Saturday, from 10.30 to 16.30 (closing of ticket offices, bookshops and last admissions at 16.15).
Tickets: admission € 3 (Chorus circuit).
Telephone: +39.041.2750462

All the churches of the Giudecca island in Venice

Giudecca
S. EUFEMIA - IX SEC.
2 SANTISSIMO REDENTORE - IX SEC.
3 ZITELLE
4 S. GIORGIO MAGGIORE - XVI SEC.



In Venice Today is update daily

© In Venice Today
All rights reserved