|In Venice Today.com|
|In Venice Today.com|
Palazzo Mocenigo Museum in Venice ItalyPalazzo Mocenigo Museum in Santa Croce Venice: lhistory, opening hours, contacts, fares of tickets and useful information for the visit.
|Palazzo Mocenigo Museum
- Santa Croce 1992 - Venice
The Civic Museum of Palazzo Mocenigo is housed in the homonymous building that is located within the Santa Croce Sestiere in Salizada San Stae, about a few meters from the Grand Canal. It houses the headquarters of the Study Center for the History of Tissue and Costume and the Museum of History of Textiles and Costume of Venice.
The Museum is part of the circuit of the Venetian Civic Museums and organizes art exhibitions throughout the year.
Mocenigo Palace Museum
The path of Palazzo Mocenigo offers the visitor a museum in the museum: alongside the collection of period costumes exhibited in the halls with the use of mannequins, there is in fact the most classical one that includes the eighteenth-century paintings on the walls, the furniture of the age of the rooms and the eighteenth-century frescoes of neoclassical taste.
Compared to the opening of 1985, the Museum was completely re-conceived according to a path and a scenography designed by architect and director Pier Luigi Pizzi in 2013. Restored with the addition of numerous rooms, Palazzo Mocenigo welcomed works that were in storage in other museums of the Venetian citizen circuit, thus enlarging its collection.
Recently, a section dedicated to perfume, its preparation and its use in Venice in historical times has also been added. An art in which the eighteenth-century Venetians excelled like the packaging of luxury clothes used in all the courts of Europe.
On the walls decorated by Agostino Mengozzi Colonna in 1787 are portraits of the seven doges belonged to Mocenigo's family, more historical figures and four kings with whom they were ambassadors.
Here too we can see paintings depicting members of the Mocenigo family who lived in the palace: two represent Piero Mocenigo (1632-1678) who was ambassador to London and Rome, by Antonio Joli (1700-1777); the doge Alvise IV with his wife Pisana Corner are portrayed in pastel colors by Francesco Pavona (1695-1777).
The room presents a ceiling fresco with allegories of Fame, Gloria and Hymen, made for the marriage between the nephew of Doge Alvise IV with Laura Corner, paintings on the walls once in the collections of the Correr Museum, eighteenth-century furniture that were part of Palazzo furniture, Murano glass and silk fabrics, Chinese porcelain once in the Treasury of the Scuola Grande di San Rocco.
Here too, the eighteenth-century furnishing is the original one of the Palazzo, and on the walls are exhibited paintings once upon a time kept by Correr and Ca' Rezzonico Museums. The blown glass, again eighteenth-century pieces, are from Murano while bottles and glasses are decorated in gold. On the ceiling another allegorical fresco on the military value that guarantees the stability of the Serenissima.
On the floor you can see Mocenigo coat of arms and on the ceiling another wedding fresco with Hymenaeum coming down from the sky, Love, Poetry and the fertility of Spring. The nineteenth-century furniture belongs to the building and the eighteenth-century windows are from Murano.
You can see in this room the beautiful painting that shows the sacrifice, during a battle between corsairs and Venetians, by Zaccaria Mocenigo (1634-1665) near the island of Sapienza in Greece; encircled he preferred to blow up his ship rather than surrender to the enemy. On the ceiling a fresco in allegorical couples on the apotheosis of the Mocenigo. The chandelier is the original one of the room, and is in blown glass with polychrome floral decoration; a piece of the eighteenth century signed by Giuseppe Briati (1686-1772).
The paintings come from the Correr Museum while the clothes date back to the eighteenth century; you can see skirts with famous panniers, frames placed at the sides with growing circles, and narrow bodices with wide necklines.
The walls house paintings that tell the story of the Mocenigo family while in the center the table is set with four and sixteenth-century fabrics with tops, cups and risers in Murano glass from the eighteenth century as well as the candlesticks and the mirror.
On the walls are portraits of patricians once belonging to the Palazzo Mocenigo and the collections of the Correr Museum. There are men's clothing dating back to the eighteenth century, elegant and embroidered with lace. The toga was the dress of the patrician: black with red sleeves for the Savi (16 ministers of the Serenissima), the Avogadori and the members of the Quarantia (the Supreme Court of the Republic), red for the Senators and the ducal Councilors. The glasses are from the seventeenth century and come from the Murano Glass Museum while the furniture is the original decoration of the building.
The paintings on the one hand evoke the exploits and maritime environments, on the other the series of famous portraits continues. A nineteenth-century portrait of one of the Doges Mocenigo is surrounded on the left by a meditative Gregory XII - belonging to the noble Venetian family of Correr - and on the right by a portrait of the noble man of letters Marcantonio Michiel. On the table, sixteenth-century velvets cesellati over rizzo (in loan from the Venice Foundation) and coeval blown glass molded or hand-worked. The furniture (XVIII century) is of Palazzo Mocenigo.
Are visible paintings by Antonio Stom (1688-1734) representing the visit to Venice of Princess Violante Beatrice of Baviera (1673/1731). The furniture dates back to the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries: the table features precious antique fabrics, a filigree dish (XVI century) and three smoked buckets, risers and candlesticks (XVIII century), a chalcedony chalice (nineteenth century), a cup of the twentieth century. A charcoal on the desk portrays Constance, wife of the last Mocenigo heir of the last century.
About fifty gilets are exhibited, a garment that spread in Venice at the end of the seventeenth century; it was in silk on the front and in linen or cotton on the back, with sleeves and along to the knee; but then it was reduced to life, where it opened in two points, and lost its sleeves.
Here is held a part of the Mocenigo noble archive that covers the centuries from the eleventh to the twentieth century and collects documents belonging to different patrician families. Here we see 205 folders.
In this room the path dedicated to perfume begins, with a video that explains its importance in the patrician society. The paintings on the walls belong to the collections of the Correr Museum and the Museum of Ca 'Rezzonico: see him Portrait of Angelo Correr (18th century) and Self-Portrait by Lorenzo Baldissera Tiepolo (Venice, 1736 - Madrid, 1776), son of Giambattista Tiepolo and brother of Giandomenico Tiepolo.
The room presents the work tools of the perfumer and his jealously secreted recipes for the preparation of oils, powders and soaps used to perfume but also to perfume the clothes to wear and the noble patrician residences. There are frames for enfleurage, a technique that extracts cold or hot oils from flowers, a French distiller in copper and iron (Collection Craesens of Milan), a bronze mortar from 1921 (Storp Collection of Monaco). On the wall are illustrated the streets traveled by Venetian merchants to buy the vegetable and animal ingredients of the aromas, such as cinnamon or civet. An eighteenth-century herbarium by Pietro Andrea Mattioli illustrates the distillation technique.
The exploration of production techniques and raw materials with the tomes dating back to the sixteenth century dedicated to perfume proceeds. Among the raw materials used were gray amber, a biliary excretion of the sperm's intestine, a product of hunting or harvesting on Indian coasts after a natural expulsion from the animal.
The Storp Collection, belonging to the family of the same name who founded the Drom fragrances in Munich in 1911, is here present with some specimens of bottles and containers for perfumes: you can see bottles in gilded bronze and porcelain and blown glass dating back to the period between XVII and XX century.
You can still see containers for perfumes, placed on a table, filled with the essences that make up the seven main olfactory families. In the center of the table a Piccolo triumph in blown glass (XVIII century).
Rooms 18 and 19
One can see an Organ of the perfumer (19th century, Vidal Collection), furniture used for the manufacture of prumates with over two hundred essential oils placed in vials. In the other room there are eighteenth-century furnishings, a female portrait from the Correr Museum and two works of religious subjects belonging to Palazzo Mocenigo.
The Palace already existed in the sixteenth century but with a smaller size than the current one; it was after the purchase of adjoining land that it was decided the enlargement and a new planning of the spaces even if the historical data do not give us the signature, the architect of Palazzo Mocenigo.
In 1945 Alvise Nicolò Mocenigo inherited it from the City of Venice, which used it as an art gallery before and, since 1985, as the seat of the Museum of the History of Textiles and Costume.
After being closed for restoration and rearrangement of the halls in 2011, the Museum reopened in 2013 presenting itself to the public with an enlarged and renewed look; the scenographer Pier Luigi Pizzi took care of the new path and the setting up of the rooms which doubled in number compared to the historical opening of 1985. In this way numerous works from other museums of the city were received.
Palazzo Mocenigo in its current architectural form dates back to the sixteenth century with seventeenth-century interventions. It consists of five levels composed of the ground floor, a mezzanine, two noble floors and an attic. It has two elegant facades that rise one on Salizada San Stae and the other on the back channel of the same name.
The internal structure of the building, composed of noble and mezzanine floors, translates externally into the use of windows serliane: three-light windows with central arched opening and lower lateral entablature windows to respect the level of the internal floors. This type of opening was very used in the seventeenth century in Venice and gives impetus and elegance to the facades of the buildings that adopted it.
Internally Palazzo Mocenigo preserves frescoes and rococo and neoclassical furnishings such as those made in 1787 on the occasion of the wedding of the nephew of Alvise IV with Laura Corner: the Apotheosis of the Mocenigo family and the Allegory Nuziale by Jacopo Guarana; the Allegory of the family by Giambattista Canal, the Allegory by Giovanni Scajaro.
The Mocenigo Family
The Palazzo Mocenigo of San Stae (Sant'Eustachio) was the patrician residence of a branch of the Mocenigo family, arrived in the lagoon around the year one thousand, perhaps from Milan, and therefore part of the Case Nuove that didn't founded the Serenissima. In the following centuries, 14 branches of the family were formed, which gave Venice 7 doges and hundreds of protagonists of Venetian life among procurators, captains, ambassadors and writers. The branch of San Stae was that of Nicolò Mocenigo, brother of the Doge Alvise I (1570-77), the winner of the Battle of Lepanto (1571).
How to reach the Mocenigo Palace Museum
The Mocenigo Palace Museum is located in Santa Croce overlooking the Grand Canal. The nearest boat stop is San Stae.
From Piazza San Marco, from Rialto, from the Railway Station and from Piazzale Roma, take line 1 with San Stae stop.
Watch the Video by Venice Civic Museums of Palazzo
|Hours: from November 1st to March 31st from 10.00am to 4.00pm (ticket office from 10.00am to 3.30pm). From 1 April to 31 October from 10.00 to 17.00 (ticket office from 10.00 to 16.30). Closed on Monday, December 25th, January 1st and May 1st.
Tickets: full € 8 euros; reduced € 5.50 euro (children from 6 to 14 years, students from 15 to 25 years, chaperones of groups of boys or students (max 2), citizens over 65, staff of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism (MiBACT) holders of Rolling Venice Card, FAI members). Free for residents and born in the City of Venice; children from 0 to 5 years; I.C.O.M. members; handicapped people with a companion; licensed guides and tourist interpreters accompanying groups or individual visitors; for each group of at least 15 people, 1 free entry (only with reservation); volunteers of the Civil Service; ordinary MUVE partners; MUVE Friend Card holders.
School Offer: € 4 per person (valid from 1 September to 15 March). For classes of students of all types and levels accompanied by their teachers with a list of the names filled in by the home institution.
Information and reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org; call center 848082000 (from Italy); the service is available from Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm; Saturday from 9.00 to 14.00; closed on festive days.
Website: Museo di Palazzo Mocenigo