of the paintings dedicated to this School we are sure it was the most
important non-denominational institution in Venice in the past. San
Giovanni evangelista was founded in the 1261 and soon became famous
the Cross's relic by an official of the Cyprus kingdom in the 1369.
The fact was so important that many paintings, kept at the Accademia
Gallery testified the moment: Processione della
Croce in Piazza S.Marco, Il
miracolo della Croce al Ponte di S.Lorenzo , both by Gentile
Bellini and Il miracolo
della Reliquia della Croce by Vittore Carpaccio: paintings
important both for religious meaning and historical reconstruction.
At the same time faithfuls took charge of give to the School an aspect
worthy of its fame: in the 1415 the School was almost finished becouse
all the paintings were still ordered, while to see the marvellous marble
door the faithfuls had to wait till the end of fifteenth century when
Bartolomeo Bon realized it (see S.Stefano
Church and Ca'
D'oro Musem) putting on it a semicircular pediment. This door was
the entrance to the courtyard that was bordered on the left handside
by the School and on the right handside by the old church.
As for other Schools, most important element in the architectural structure
was the stairs leading to the upper floor: in the 1498 Mauro Codussi,
one of the most famous architect working in Venice in that period, realized
the project characterized by a mullioned window at the intermediate
floor, a typical element of Codussi's architecture. After the Campoformio
treaty that gave Venice to Austrian Empire, the School seemed to be
destined for demolition but the importance of the School for Venice
during its history incited some venetian citizen to buy it and give
it to the city.
At the upper floor it's possible admire works by Tintoretto and Sante
Peranda, Tiepolo, Diziani and Marieschi.
10.00/16.00, only Sunday and Monday. Closed on Easter.
San Giovanni, San Polo - Venezia