Grande dei Carmini
hours: daily from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone: ++39 - 041-5289420
if the official foundation of this "Scuola Grande" was in
the 1594, Carmini's Pizzocchere's confraternity was active since the
thirteenth century. Only at the beginning of sixteenth century, after
many apprecisations both from
and Serenissima Republic, San Giorgio degli Schiavoni incresased its
Right nave offered by Carmelitani friars was absolutely inadequate to
go on working so many buildings were bought in the area close to Campo
Santa Margherita: it was announced a competition won by Camtello.
But construction went on very slowly becouse of the pestilences. In
spite of this, building was unveiled in 1638 even if the facade was
At the beginning of 1670 the building was finished by architect Longhena.
Howewer there're many doubts about his partecipation. Surely ha had
to work on an existent structure that was besides different on its two
sides. Recents restorations demonstrated that the building was finished
when there still was a tavern joining the building that obviously not
allowed to drawn a unitary project.
This School keeps on the ceiling of the first floor room a masterpice
by Tiepolo: La Vergine in Gloria.
The painting la Madonna del Carmelo consegna lo scapolare al Beato
Simone Stock raised the popularity of this confraternity until the
final appreciation by Serenissima Government that gave the appellative
"Grande" to it in the 1767.
The Napoleonic edict closed it in the 1806 when it still was rich and
popular: many of the most important works were robbed but large ones
fortunately remained here to be appreciated by public.